If you want to lose weight, but don’t have the time or money for a gym membership, it can be incredibly frustrating. Fortunately, there is a quick and easy bodyweight exercise routine that you can do in the comfort of your own home – without using any equipment.
Today we will be taking an extensive look at an effective, yet simple exercise routine that will burn fat and build muscle as if you were hitting the gym every single day.
This bodyweight exercise routine is formulated to improve your cardiovascular health as well as building your large muscle groups. Keep reading to learn more!
Bodyweight Home Circuit
This routine consists of a series of exercises that you should do in succession with taking a break. Once you’ve completed a circuit, do it again. As you build strength and fitness, try to complete the circuit more times.
If you struggle to complete the exercises in succession, take breaks in between, but make sure that you complete at least one routine per session and that you do each exercise correctly.
Before you start the routine, remember to warm up first by running on the spot or spinning on a gym bike. You can also go for a quick jog up and down the street.
The routine is as follows:
20 Bodyweight Squats
– Stand with your feet a little more than hip-width apart with your feet slightly outward.
– Inhale and hinge at your hips before bending your knees to lower in a squat position. Try to keep your thighs parallel with the floor. Flex your torso forward.
– Exhale while straightening your legs to stand up.
– Assume the plank by position by lying face-down with your palms shoulder-width apart against the floor. Point your elbows towards your toes. Curl your toes upward so that the balls of your feet are against the floor.
– Your elbows should make a 90-degree angle and your entire weight should rest on your hands and the balls of your feet.
– As you exhale, use your shoulders and chest to push against the floor and to raise yourself until your arms are straight.
– Lower yourself back to the plank position to complete 1 push up.
10 Dumbbell Rows
– Place a dumbbell or other object with sufficient weight on either side of a flat bench.
– Get into the starting position by placing your right knee on the bench and bend your torso forward from your waist while keeping your back straight. Pick the weight up with your left hand.
– While keeping your upper arm close to your side, pull the weight up to the side of your chest. Remember to keep your upper body still and exhale while you lift.
– Lower the weight to the starting position while you inhale.
– Switch sides. Continue until you completed 5 reps for each side.
15 Second Plank
Planking is one of the best exercises you can do to strengthen your core. Assume a push-up position with your elbows bent at a 90-degree angle directly beneath your shoulders. Your body should form a straight line and your feet should be together with only your toes touching the floor. Keep this position for 15 seconds.
20 Jumping Jacks
Assume the starting position with your hands and feet at your sides. At the same time, jump and spread your feet while raising your arms above your head. Jump again to reverse back to the starting position.
One spread and reverse count as one jumping jack. Repeat this action 20 times. This is the last exercise in your routine, so make sure that you keep your form.
Get To It!
While this exercise routine is excellent for building muscle mass and losing weight, it is important that you maintain a healthy diet as well. If you don’t eat properly, chances are that you won’t be seeing results. Avoid sugar and starchy food at all costs, and make sure that you drink enough water.
Complete this routine around 2 or 3 times a week and make sure that you don’t exercise on consecutive days. This will give your body a chance to rest and build muscle. If you need some help, contact a personal trainer in Clark to get started.